Monday 7 December 2015

Wednesday of Holy Week

When we are put in a difficult situation, or when we face persecution, or when our faith is challenged, what happens? Quite possibly our defence mechanism would kick in. We would begin to think of ways and means to rebutt the claims made towards us, or we begin to think of how we could answer or respond to the accusations. Some of us feel that we have the knowledge, know-how and convincing arguments to defend and protect ourselves. But sometimes, our defences may not necessarily be necessary or sufficient. So how should we as Christians respond to such situations?

In today's reading, we see how a Christian should respond. The reading tells us: "The Lord has given me a disciple’s tongue. So that I may know how to reply to the wearied he provides me with speech. Each morning he wakes me to hear, to listen like a disciple. The Lord has opened my ear...  The Lord comes to my help, so that I am untouched by the insults. So, too, I set my face like flint; I know I shall not be shamed." When we put our trust in God and let Him guide us, then we are responding to such situations not on our own effort or our own abilities or our own accord, but through His promptings. The way God guides us to respond accordingly can sometimes surprise us and even our accusers. May we learn to let go and let God be our hope and guide, knowing that He will help us.

No comments:

Post a Comment