Sunday 31 January 2016

Friday of Week 19 Year 2

If you find out that your husband or wife has been unfaithful and has prostituted himself or herself, all for the sake of money, would you forgive him or her? What if you find out your girlfriend has become pregnant because of her loose living which you discovered, would you forgive her? It seems easy to say that we forgive, and we recite such words when we pray the Our Father. But are we willing to put into action what we say by genuinely forgiving those who hurt us, just as God forgives us our trespasses?

In today's reading, we are reminded of how loving and forgiving God is: "The Lord says this: 'Jerusalem, I will treat you as you deserve, you who have despised your oath even to the extent of breaking a covenant, but I will remember the covenant that I made with you when you were a girl, and I will conclude a covenant with you that shall last for ever... I am going to renew my covenant with you; and you will learn that I am the Lord, and so so remember and be covered with shame, and in your confusion be reduced to silence, when I have pardoned you for all that you have done – it is the Lord who speaks.'" God is willing to forgive us, no matter how bad we have been. If God is willing to forgive us, should we not do the same towards others?

No comments:

Post a Comment