Saturday 20 February 2016

Monday of Week 27 Year 2

Over the years, we have come across people who claim to be followers of Christ and they seem to have the gift of the gab. These people begin to go around appearing to be preaching the Good News, but we could begin to notice something strange or odd about the message these people are preaching. Quite often, these people would either preach fear or doomsday and they would try to entice people to give up their wealth; or these people would preach about receiving greater rewards from God if we are more generous in our contributions or love offerings. Some people become so easily taken in by fear of the end times, or by such easy access to God's grace and providence, that they are duped into parting with their cash and even property. More often than not, such so called preachers are only looking to enriching themselves, and then make a run for it..

In today's reading, St. Paul warns us: "if anyone preaches a version of the Good News different from the one you have already heard, he is to be condemned. So now whom am I trying to please – man, or God? Would you say it is men’s approval I am looking for? If I still wanted that, I should not be what I am – a servant of Christ. The fact is, brothers, and I want you to realise this, the Good News I preached is not a human message that I was given by men, it is something I learnt only through a revelation of Jesus Christ." St. Paul is cautioning us to be careful and vigilant, because there may be preachers claiming to proclaim the Good News, but they are actually giving us false teaching. Let us not be so easily taken for a ride, and adhere to true and proper preaching, for the good of our eternal future.

No comments:

Post a Comment