Saturday 4 July 2015

Saint Laurence, Deacon, Martyr - Feast

What do you look for in life? Some people seem to be busy trying to gain more riches, property and wealth; some look for power and prestige; some even look for recognition and titles. In our efforts to gain such things on earth, we may have grown more and more distant from God, since we may have spent much time on earthly pursuits, with little or no time for heavenly pursuits. But do all these really matter at the end? What would become of these things when we die? Can we bring them with us? Of course not. We would have to leave them behind. Then what is to become of us then?

In today's Gospel, Jesus reminds us: "Anyone who loves his life loses it; anyone who hates his life in this world will keep it for the eternal life. If a man serves me, he must follow me, wherever I am, my servant will be there too. If anyone serves me, my Father will honour him." Perhaps we should look carefully at the kind of lives we are living, and change our ways, growing closer to God while we have the chance to do so, so that we may be with Him for all eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment