Tuesday 8 July 2014

Wednesday of Week 20 Year 2

In this world, we often expect to be rewarded according to our job performance. We expect better pay, better benefits, better bonuses and better working conditions, especially if we think we are performing well or better than others. When we don't get what we expect, some of us may become upset, angry, disillusioned or in some cases, even leave the present job in search of greener pastures. In other words, "whats in it for me" seems to be more important to us than "how can I be of service for a better world."

In today's Gospel, the landowner hired workers at different times of the day to work in his vineyard. What was agreed upon was one denarius a day, regardless of how long a worker has worked. When it came to payment time, the landowner honoured his part of the agreement by giving every worker the same amount of one denarius, regardless of whether they worked for one hour or several hours. Of course, some of the workers may have felt it was unfair, some may have felt they were cheated, but did they have a right to feel this way? The landowner had agreed to pay one denarius, and he chose to be generous and fair to all. He said: "My friend, I am not being unjust to you; did we not agree on one denarius? Take your earnings and go. I choose to pay the last comer as much as I pay you. Have I no right to do what I like with my own? Why be envious because I am generous?"

God is like that landowner. He is generous to all. He lets the sun shine, the rain fall, crops grow, so that all peoples may grow and prosper. If God is generous to all, do we have a right to complain? Are we trying to tell God what to do, according to our perception or expectations?

No comments:

Post a Comment