Friday 24 April 2015

The Holy Guardian Angels

Have you ever met an angel before? Some of us may have been influenced by pictures of angels that look cute, with wings, and flying here and there. But are angels really like that? In the bible, we have read in several places which tells us that angels are far from cute. In fact, such passages describe to us that angels are frightening to behold and the angel often says: "Do not be afraid." Certainly not something many of us would want to encounter.

But today's reading gives us something to be thankful and ponder about. In today's reading, we are reminded: "The Lord says this: ‘I myself will send an angel before you to guard you as you go and to bring you to the place that I have prepared. Give him reverence and listen to all that he says. Offer him no defiance; he would not pardon such a fault, for my name is in him. If you listen carefully to his voice and do all that I say, I shall be enemy to your enemies, foe to your foes. My angel will go before you.’"

This means that each of us, whether we are aware or not, have got a guardian angel watching over us. Sometimes that guardian angel would work through our conscience to warn us when we are about to sin, but it is up to us to avoid such temptation. Also, we may have had experienced several occasions where our guardian angel had prevented evil from happening to us. This is why we should always give thanks to God, for His gift of a guardian angel to us, and let us strive to avoid all occasions of sin, and learn to live in His embrace and providence.

O Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom His love entrusts me here, ever this day be at my side, to light and guard, to rule and guide. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment