Tuesday 8 July 2014

Thursday of Week 20 Year 2

As children, some of us may have dreaded taking a bath. Some of us may have run away screaming or crying, not wanting to be given a good washing or scrubbing. Sometimes, our parents would find ways or means to trick us into having a bath. Eventually, as we grew older, we began to realise the importance and necessity of taking a bath. Some of us began to take baths more often, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day, sometimes more, so that we could keep clean and maintain good personal hygiene.

In today's reading, God gave His people a good cleaning and makeover: "I shall pour clean water over you and you will be cleansed; I shall cleanse you of all your defilement and all your idols. I shall give you a new heart, and put a new spirit in you; I shall remove the heart of stone from your bodies and give you a heart of flesh instead. I shall put my spirit in you, and make you keep my laws and sincerely respect my observances. You will live in the land which I gave your ancestors. You shall be my people and I will be your God." By doing so, God took the initiative to help His people move away from their uncleanness and shepherd them so that they would grow and prosper as His people. In the same way, God is also taking the initiative to help and guide us. The question is: are we willing to let Him shepherd us and help us?

Just as our bodies get dirty and need cleansing, our souls too get dirty when we sin and need cleansing. When we seek forgiveness earnestly and sincerely through the Sacrament of Reconciliation, our souls are cleansed. God is inviting us to come closer to Him and be His people. He wants us to remain clean and happy, depending on His providence and care. Are we still stubbornly trying to run away and remain dirty?

No comments:

Post a Comment