Tuesday 2 April 2019

Saturday of Week 11 Year 1

What do we look for when it comes to strength or being strong? Is strength or being strong a physical thing, where one is able to use one's muscles or energy to accomplish feats? Or is strength something to do with one's talents and abilities? When we focus on such strength, some of us begin to feel very proud, boastful and egoistic of such strength. But as Christians, what sort of strength should we really be focusing on?

In today's reading, we are reminded: "In view of the extraordinary nature of these revelations, to stop me from getting too proud I was given a thorn in the flesh, an angel of Satan to beat me and stop me from getting too proud! About this thing, I have pleaded with the Lord three times for it to leave me, but he has said, ‘My grace is enough for you: my power is at its best in weakness.’ So I shall be very happy to make my weaknesses my special boast so that the power of Christ may stay over me, and that is why I am quite content with my weaknesses, and with insults, hardships, persecutions, and the agonies I go through for Christ’s sake. For it is when I am weak that I am strong."

The reading reminds us that ultimately, we should not be depending or focusing on our own strengths. Instead, we should be focusing on God's grace and power, since it is God who can give us strength which far surpasses anything which we could ever have or what we think we have. May we give thanks to God even in our weaknesses, and let Him use us for His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment