Saturday 11 August 2018

Saturday of Week 26 Year 2

Nowadays I notice more and more people becoming proud and arrogant in their attitude and behaviour. For example, I see people driving on the road as if the road belongs to them, or they think they can weave in and out of traffic to get to where they want, with little regard for the safety of others. Some drive big vehicles or four wheel drive vehicles, and think that the size of their vehicle entitles them to bully other vehicles or cut into other people's lane. All these incidences and attitude make me wonder... have some people lost their sense of politeness, courtesy and especially humility? Humility is the quality of having a modest or low view of one's importance, and it seems as if more and more people are forgetting their humble beginnings, as they become more affluent, or are supposingly having higher education, or they think they have better standing in society.

In contrast, today's reading tells us of Job's humility. The reading tells us: "This was the answer Job gave to the Lord: I know that you are all-powerful what you conceive, you can perform. I am the man who obscured your designs with my empty-headed words. I have been holding forth on matters I cannot understand, on marvels beyond me and my knowledge. I knew you then only by hearsay; but now, having seen you with my own eyes, I retract all I have said, and in dust and ashes I repent." Job was willing to remain humble and seek forgiveness from God, instead of sticking to his pride and ego. As a result, the reading tells us that God blessed Job with wealth, property, offspring and other things, much more than Job could ever imagine.

What about us? Are some of us still holding on to our pride and ego, with a sense of entitlement? Or have we learnt to become more like Job, willing to humble ourselves and let God be our help and guide? May we be willing to walk humbly in God's ways, and glorify God in all we say and do.

No comments:

Post a Comment