Monday 2 May 2016

Monday of Week 16 Year 1

A man was trapped on the roof of his house and all around there were flood waters. A helicopter came and beckoned the man to climb up the ladder into the helicopter to safety, but the man said: "I trust that God will give me a sign that He will rescue me. I shall wait for the sign." The helicopter left, as it was dangerous to remain hovering in the area for too long. A speed boat came by and beckoned the man to hop onto the boat to safety, but the man said: "I trust that God will give me a sign that He will rescue me. I shall wait for the sign." Eventually, the flood waters rose up to the roof and the man drowned. When the man appeared before God, he complained: "Lord! Why didn't you give me a sign that you would rescue me?" God replied: "My dear son. I gave you 2 signs: the helicopter and the speed boat. Why didn't you recognise the signs?"

In today's Gospel, the scribes and Pharisees knew who Jesus was, but they were so stubborn and refused to admit who Jesus was, and still asked for a sign from Jesus. Jesus responded with harsh words: "It is an evil and unfaithful generation that asks for a sign!" When we are stubborn, obstinate, proud, conceited and egoistic, no matter how many signs are given to us, we would still refuse to accept the signs. May we come to realise our attitude and behaviour, and change our ways while we have opportunities to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment