Wednesday 27 April 2016

Monday of Week 15 Year 1

I believe most of us would want to remain in good relationship or good ties with our parents and siblings. I do not think we would want to cause unnecessary friction or division in the family. But sometimes, some of us may be faced with a situation where our parents or siblings demand that we perform something or carry out an act which would keep the family honour, but goes against God's commandments. For example, your spouse is with child and the doctor examining your spouse discovers that the foetus has some form of handicap which could make raising such a child quite difficult and expensive. Your parents demand that the foetus be aborted, because they believe and fear that having such a child would bring dishonour to the family name. What would you do? Would you remain faithful to God's commandments? Or would you do as your parents demand?

In today's Gospel, Jesus warns us: "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth: it is not peace I have come to bring, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. A man’s enemies will be those of his own household. Anyone who prefers father or mother to me is not worthy of me. Anyone who prefers son or daughter to me is not worthy of me. Anyone who does not take his cross and follow in my footsteps is not worthy of me. Anyone who finds his life will lose it; anyone who loses his life for my sake will find it."

We know that as Christians, we are reminded to obey and keep God's commandments. But if we obey and keep God's commandments, we would be going against our parents' demands. Likewise, if we submit to our parents' demands, we would be going against God's commandments. Should we be faced with such a difficult situation, may we choose wisely and prudently what is right and just.

No comments:

Post a Comment